Monday, July 15, 2019

Irish designer Aoife Mullane's Wicklow home

Welcome to IMAGE.ie’s new Look Inside series. It's all about real people's real homes – our favourite part of our home and why we like that particular space so much. Every week, we’ll catch up with Irish creatives to learn about their favourite corner of their house; this week, it’s Aoife Mullane, Irish textiles designer from Wicklow. 

Aoife Mullane is an Irish textiles designer who blends beauty with practicality effortlessly. “I want to create designs that make you feel good every time you see them," she says. "I truly believe my fabrics can enhance your daily life through beauty and function.”
She combines inspiration from nature with her knowledge of textiles (which she obtained through studies at NCAD) and creates bespoke patterns for cushions and lampshades.

“Every square inch of my signature designs have been carefully considered,” Aoife adds. “Gathering inspiration, sketching in my notepad, sampling colours and testing fabrics – these are the many stages in the creative process that get lost in the world of commercial design," she explains.
With such passion and creativity, we wanted to know more about Aoife's taste in interiors. Here she opens up her bedroom which also doubles as an art studio.

Aoife Mullane at home

"This is my bedroom space – it's at the very top of the house and I have a beautiful view right out over Bray Head. I can see the sun rising every morning," she tells us.


"I have a desk space right under my skylights and this is where I would do a lot of my drawing and sketch work – it's light, bright and inspiring.

The colour scheme

"My textile designs focus on a very tonal colour palette; working with muted hues that contrast with the flecks of metallic in my handprinted fabrics. I like the combination of soft blues, powdery pinks and calming greens I have used within my space.

The importance of design

"I have always had a love for interiors," Aoife says. "I truly believe your surroundings play a huge role in how you feel on a daily basis.

"I try not to follow trends. Instead, I design my pieces with longevity in mind. The lampshade, for example, is my own design; this piece is inspired by the pebbles and stones that can be seen on the seafront. I think this piece would work in a number of interior settings."

"I want my pieces to blur the lines between functionality and art," she adds. "I want them to be both!
"When adding other elements to my space I generally keep it simple; using natural materials and adding texture through wood/rattan."

Want to know more about Aoife Mullane Design? Explore her work via her website or follow her on Instagram here.  
Photos: Aoife Mullane https://www.image.ie/interiors/look-inside-aoife-mullane-home-146039

2 comments:

  1. Your blog is wonderful Thank you for sharing, As we know interior decor is being crazy all over the world because people love to decor their homes and work place that is inspiring or pleasing, so one of my friend told me about interior decor in Melbourne that guide you with the best of their services. So make your place pleasing and appreciable with them. Visit: https://setitoff.com.au/

    ReplyDelete